A simple and wholesome muffin recipe, that’s refined sugar free and dairy free. It’s made using minimal ingredients, all of which you probably already have in your home. Perfect little snack for kids (and the big ones too!).
When we got home from our weekend trip, I noticed our fruit bowl was overflowing with fruit that was ripe and ready to be eaten. I pinched a banana and apple from the bowl and decided to experiment with whatever I had in the pantry and create a healthy snack for us to enjoy this week.
After a quick rummage through the kitchen, I decided on mini muffins. I mashed the banana, then added in two organic free range eggs, two tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of olive oil and stirred it all together.
I then added some rolled oats, buckwheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder and the diced apple and combined them well.
I used a 1/4 cup to measure out the batter and it filled 8 small muffin moulds. I then baked it for 25 minutes and let them cool on a rack when they were done.
They were so simple to make, and tasted so delicious! They were soft, moist (sorry!) and naturally sweet from the fruit and bit of honey.
Jared actually pinched almost all of them this week, he loved them! I managed to nab the last one before he could though! He had his warmed up and I just ate mine cold from the fridge and it still tasted awesome!
I can’t wait to make them again, I think I’ll double the recipe next time seeing as they were such a hit.
I also want to note that because they’ve got fruit in them, I kept them in the fridge to prevent any spoilage before we could eat them all.
If you try this recipe, please let me know how it goes! Post a picture on Instagram and tag me @onedishaway, or email me a picture if you like on email@example.com, I’d love to share it on here!
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 eggs (preferably free range and organic)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 apple, diced
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Combine mashed banana, eggs, honey and oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir gently until combined well.
- Grease a muffin tray.
- Use a 1/4 cup measure to scoop out batter for each muffin slot. This makes 8 small muffins.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes. Your muffins will be cooked when they are a golden colour and feels firm in the centre.
- Let it cool on a rack and eat the same day or store in fridge to ensure it stays fresh for a few days. Best enjoyed warmed up!