Firstly I just wanted to say thank you for your words of support and all the love I received after yesterday’s post. I was unsure about whether or not to post it, but I’m glad I did. I find that opening up and sharing some of my personal thoughts and feelings with you always allows me to connect with you all deeper. So thank you for being a part of my journey with me, and allowing me to be a part in yours.
Secondly, to brighten us all back up, I just wanted to share a little recipe I came up with on Sunday afternoon. It was really easy to put together, and my only regret was I didn’t make a second batch because they turned out so well!
There’s not much to the recipe at all, it only requires 7 ingredients and one bowl. Winner winner, chicken dinner! All I did was mash together two bananas, then added some olive oil, a free range organic egg and tiny bit of honey and stirred it all together. Then I simply added some rolled oats, baking powder and raisins, mixed it and then let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken up.
I poured the mix into a greased brownie tin and smoothed out the surface. It won’t rise very much at all, so whatever the height is at this stage is how it will finish up as (much like a brownie).
I baked it for about 20 minutes and let it cool in the tray, before slicing it into 6 bars and wrapping them up. I was so tempted to eat one of them right there and then, but knew I would enjoy them so much more if I saved them to have during the week for my snacks at work!
These would be a great kids lunchbox snack too as they’re nut free! If you also have to go egg free, a chia or flax egg replacement would work just fine in this I think!
They can be eaten hot or cold, but I love them best warmed up just before eating. The smell of the banana and raisins intensifies and it just makes it all the more delicious!
A couple questions before I jet off:
- Are you a savoury or sweet snack person?
- What’s your favourite thing to make with ripe bananas?
I hope you enjoy the recipe! And remember that if you end up making this recipe yourself, please post a photo, as I’d love to see your recreation of it!! Feel free to post it on my Facebook page or if you’re posting it on Instagram, tag me and add #onedishaway (that part is important, sometimes I get influxes of notifications at a time and I miss the tag, so the hashtag lets me scroll through and find it later on). Don’t have social media? Email me your creations to firstname.lastname@example.org. I would love to share your snaps right here on the blog!
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg (organic, free range preferably)*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey (organic, local preferably)
- 1 and 1/2 cups rolled oats**
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Combine mashed bananas, egg, oil and honey in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add oats, baking powder and raisins to the bowl and combine well.
- Pour into a greased/lined brownie tin and even out the mix on top (it won't rise or change shape very much during the baking process).
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, depending on your oven. It should have golden edges and rise back up when pushed gently in the centre.
- Let it cool in the tin.
- Slice into 6 bars and keep refrigerated if not eaten the same day.
- *Use a chia or flax egg to make these egg free
- **Use gluten free oats to make this gluten free.