Things have been pretty up and down these last couple of weeks. Last week was my first week of holidays and I spent it working almost every day, our weekend was spent looking at more apartments and not being successful in finding anything and yesterday was spent frantically fixing and resubmitting my major assessment in order to pass. It has been a bit of a downer, but I figure I can either let it all get to me, or count my blessings instead.
So today I woke up and did just that. I’m lucky enough to have a loving and supportive family, a handful of wonderful close friends, one amazing best friend/soul mate/better half, a job that I love and provides me with an opportunity to save for things I want and need, the freedom to broaden my knowledge and learn about everything and anything I want to and last but not least, I have the world’s most supportive partner who works hard to keep a roof over my head and love in my heart.
And after that I realised… life really isn’t so bad when you count blessings is it? I think I’ll practice doing that more often. It just feels so good for the soul and for the mind to do so.
To continue the happy vibes, I made myself a bright, beautiful and nourishing breakfast after my morning yoga. Enter Berry Pancake Trifle. The pancake recipe is one I’ve been using for forever and a day. It needs only 3 ingredients – a banana, an egg (free range/organic if possible) and 1/3 cup rolled oats. That’s it. No crazy flours, no rising agents, nothing. If you want to mix it up, throw in some cinnamon, cacao, honey, choc chips etc. As long as you have the basic 3 ingredients, it will be fool-proof everytime.I layered the pancakes with yoghurt and berries in a glass, which I have to add, actually belong to my boyfriend. He bought them strictly for alcoholic drinking purposes, but they are so cute and fit my pancakes so perfectly I couldn’t resist! It’ll be our little secret, right? Every bite of this brought so much happiness to my tastebuds. I hope they do the same for you! And if you counted your blessings today, give that a go too. It will be the best thing you do today, besides making these pancakes of course!
- 1 small banana (or half a large one)
- 1 egg*
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 cup greek or natural yoghurt
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 3 strawberries, sliced
- 1 teaspoon honey, maple syrup or rice malt syrup (optional)
- Place banana, egg and oats into a small blender and blend until smooth and well combined.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and turn heat down to medium.
- Pour out 1/3 of pancake mixture into the pan.
- Flip pancake when bubbles appear on surface.
- Repeat with remaining mix until you have made 3 pancakes.
- Layer in a glass or jar with berries and yoghurt, then top with honey/syrup if using.
- *Always use free range/organic if possible.