Confession time: Prior to about two weeks ago, I had never tasted or made broccoli and bacon salad. I know, what kind of foodie am I?? I finally decided to take the plunge and give it a go after getting the cutest, greenest and most delightful looking head of broccoli arrived in my weekly veg box.
Having never made it before, I did a bit of googling to check out how to make it. A lot of recipes called for raw broccoli and mayo. Neither myself or Jared are fans of raw broccoli or store bought processed mayo. And there was no way I could be bothered whipping up a homemade mayo on a weeknight either (real talk!). So I decided to just wing it and make it according to our preferences.
Instead of having it raw, I sauteed some bacon and onion until golden and crispy in a pan and added broccoli florets to that and cooked it for a couple of minutes before setting aside to cool.
Then I just whisked together some full fat Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, honey and olive oil for a simple dressing.
Once the broccoli cooled, I tossed it with some raisins and the dressing, sprinkled over some seeds for crunch and then had a taste. Oh man. I could’ve eaten the whole serving to myself as my dinner!!
Jared loved it as well. This is the first time he’s ever had yoghurt and actually enjoyed it. We were supposed to save some for the next day, but we ate the entire dish between the two of us. Oops!
I’ve made another variation of it where I replaced the broccoli with cauliflower, which was really nice but the broccoli was much better. I love the sweetness of the broccoli, which seems to go so well with the saltiness of the bacon. This is going to be a staple in our place now, we’ve decided!
If you try the recipe, please let me know how you go. Leave a comment, or tag me in your photo on Instagram and add #onedishaway so I can find it! I’d love to share it on the One Dish Away Facebook page!
P.S If you haven’t already, please make sure you sign up to the new One Dish Away VIP Mailing List. I promise there’ll never be any spam from me, just little bits of love to help motivate and encourage you and also advice on how to nourish your mind, body and soul. All sent directly to your inbox every fortnight! You’ll also be the first to know when I release any eBooks or special online programs. As a welcome gift, you’ll also score a free copy of my eBook “5 Ways to Nourish Yourself.” Just click on the photo below to sign up and get your copy!
The very first newsletter will be sent out next Monday morning and it will be focusing on how to stay healthy in an office job! So make sure you sign up before then so you receive your newsletter.
- 1 teaspoon organic butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 rashers of short cut bacon, diced
- 1 small head of broccoli*
- 1/2 cup greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons raisins**
- 2 tablespoons mixed seeds (I used sunflower and pepitas)
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add bacon and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until bacon is golden and crispy.
- Add broccoli to the pan and saute for an extra 2-3 minutes, until broccoli has turned a bright green and has softened slightly.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Whisk together yoghurt, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and honey.
- Add dressing and raisins to the cooled broccoli and bacon mix, and stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle over the seeds and serve.
- * Broccoli is a very heavily sprayed vegetable due to it being very susceptible to pests. I highly recommend only eating organic broccoli, but if you can't get any, just make sure you wash it well in an organic veggie wash (or make your own with just water and apple cider vinegar - there are some great techniques online).
- ** You can also swap for dried cranberries, which is also really nice in this!