Meat free Monday’s have become a regular thing in our household now. We did forget about it for a while, but I think it’s here to stay this time round! I’m a big fan of meat free meals anyway, and Jared has come a long way in the last few years from being a typical meat-and-three-veg kinda guy, to now being a lover of veggies, quinoa, beans, legumes and tofu.
Because of this, we enjoy meat free meals scattered all through the week now, not just on Monday’s. But I do love that we have a special day for it where we nourish ourselves with just plant based goodness!
Last Monday we had this kale and 5 bean spaghetti. It’s a bit of a spin off of my spicy mushroom and prosciutto spaghetti, but with more veggies and of course no prosciutto (sad, yes – but I promise it’s still yummo!).
While the spaghetti cooked away, I sliced the veggies and then cooked the garlic and shallots in some olive oil. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of oil, which sounds like a lot, but the olive oil is the sauce of this pasta dish, and 1/4 cup is just enough to coat the spaghetti nicely and brings everything together. Plus, when it’s infused with shallots and garlic, it is delicious. So don’t be scared!
From start to finish (including the time it took to boil the kettle for the spaghetti), this took me less than 30 minutes. You guys know how much I love my 30 minute meals! I always aim to keep my week day dinner prep under half an hour, that way I have no excuse to not cook something delicious and nourishing each night!
We sprinkled over some fresh parsley and grated cheese to top it off, and it was divine!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did, and I’ll be back later this week with a brand new segment on the blog (which I’m really excited about!).
Before I go, I would love to know:
- What are you favourite quick weeknight dinner meals?
- Do you cook your dinner most nights or do you prefer to eat out/order take out?
- 400g gluten free spaghetti
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 large bunch of kale, tough stalks removed and roughly shredded
- 2 carrots, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 1 400g tin of 5 mix beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 chillies, sliced*
- To serve: shaved cheese and fresh parsley
- Cook your spaghetti according to packet instructions.
- Heat oil in pan and add garlic and shallots.
- Cook for approximately a minute on a high heat (garlic and shallots should be fragrant, but not burnt).
- Add mushrooms, kale and carrot and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add drained spaghetti, beans and chilli and stir with tongs until it is well combined.
- Serve topped with a little shaved cheese and fresh parsley.
- * Use more or less depending on spice preference.