Hiya lovelies, how are we all this Tuesday?
Sydney weather has been pretty cold and grey (anything below 20 degrees is cold to me!), so soup was definitely on the agenda.
I put this all together before my run yesterday and had it all cooked and ready in about half an hour! And to make things even better, it was an extra big batch so guess who doesn’t have to cook dinner tonight and tomorrow? ME! :).
I had Jared chop up some veggies for me while I was on the way home from work to save me some time. He finely diced an onion and 2 cloves of garlic, and roughly chopped up 2 sweet potatoes and 2 zucchinis. When I got home, I found a bag of mushrooms in the fridge that needed eating, so I chopped up 2 cups of those too.
I sauteed the onion and garlic, then added the veggies and stirred them all through the softened onion and garlic. Then I added 2 tins of white beans (drained and rinsed), 2 tins of organic diced tomatoes and a litre of veggie stock. I didn’t have any homemade stock on hand, so I used Campbell’s Real Stock. Ingredient wise, it was actually better than the Australia’s Own Organic’s one (which had more additives/fillers than veggies – weird, right?). I also added a good dash of Himalayan Salt, pepper and a tablespoon of dried basil.
I brought it all to the boil, then added 2 cups of buckwheat penne.
After stirring in the pasta, I brought the heat down to a gentle simmer, put the lid on (leaving about an inch uncovered) and left it to cook for 20 minutes while I got ready for my run.
It was such a an easy throw together kind of meal, and we’re getting 3 dinners out of it, which is such a lifesaver for busy weeknights!
I just reheated it slightly when I got home from my run, then popped the rest in the fridge. It will thicken up overnight due to everything absorbing the liquid, so you might want to add a splash of water when reheating it, depending on how you like your soup (I personally like mine a bit on the thick and chunky side!).
Before I go, I would love to know:
- What’s your favourite soup?
- How do you prefer your soup? Thick? Thin? Chunky? Pureed?
P.S I hope you enjoy the recipe! And remember that if you end up making this recipe yourself, please post a photo, as I’d love to see your recreation of it!! Feel free to post it on my Facebook page or if you’re posting it on Instagram, tag me and add #onedishaway (that part is important, sometimes I get influxes of notifications at a time and I miss it, and the hashtag lets me scroll through and find it later on). Don’t have social media? Email me your creations to firstname.lastname@example.org. I would love to share your snaps right here on the blog! :)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, roughly diced
- 2 zucchinis, halved lengthways and sliced into 2cm slices
- 2 cups button mushrooms, halved
- 2 400g tins of white beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 400g diced tomatoes
- 1L vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups buckwheat penne
- Garnish: fresh basil (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Add onion and garlic to the pot and saute for a minute, until softened and fragrant.
- Add sweet potatoes, zucchinis and mushrooms and stir until garlic and onion is mixed through.
- Add the beans, diced tomatoes, stock, basil and salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer, add the pasta, stir and pop the lid on (leaving about an inch uncovered).
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with fresh basil if using.
- * Or use your preferred type of pasta.