Wow it’s been such a crazy week! I had work all day Saturday, then had Mother’s Day celebrations on Saturday night and all day Sunday, then I had 2 full days of training for my new job on Monday and Tuesday, did my first shift yesterday and also fit in a graduation dinner and drinks last night with the college crew (at which I may have had one too many celebratory wines). Today I woke up feeling pretty hungover and quite tired. Luckily, both Jared and I both had the day off today, so we spent it watching BBC shows and lazing about on the couch together. As great as the last week has been, it was nice to just finally have a day of rest and spend it doing absolutely nothing!
As I sit here on my incredibly lazy bum, I thought I’d quickly share this Kale & Basil Pesto recipe with you all. I actually made the pesto on Sunday for Mother’s Day dinner and stirred it through some brown rice pasta and crispy bacon and it was a hit! There was a little pesto leftover and we’ve been eating it every day on grilled cheese toasties (which is basically just buckwheat bread, pesto and cheddar). So. Bloody. Good! I’m so addicted to it. I’m going to have to make another batch as soon as this one finishes!
This pesto is also packed with goodness! I do love a traditional pesto with just basil, olive oil, pine nuts garlic and parmesan. But I’ve made a few tweaks to make it as nutritionally packed as possible.
- I took out the cheese, but you don’t really miss it! The basil, lemon and garlic already packs quite a punch flavour-wise!
- I swapped the pine nuts with pepitas (pumpkin seeds). Pepitas are nutritional powerhouses! They are full of good fats, B vitamins, Vitamin E, copper, manganese,potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc and selenium!
- I added extra greenery in the form of kale. I’m going to be honest, I don’t like the taste of raw kale. I think it tastes a lot like cardboard. There, I said it! But it’s just so damn good for you, being a great source of plant based iron, calcium and vitamins A, C and K. Because of this, I try to sneak it into as many meals as possible. And this is probably now my most liked way of having it raw, with green smoothies being second!
It’s a really simple recipe – just throw everything into a food processor, blitz and keep in a sealed jar in the fridge! It makes just over a cup, and should keep well for up to a week! If you do make this recipe, please feel free to share a snap on Instagram, tag me and add my hashtag #onedishaway so I can find it! I always love seeing photos of recreations of my recipes !
- 6 large kale leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch basil, leaves only
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1 large clove garlic
- Juice of half a lime
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a food processor.
- Pulse until well blended. You may have to stop and scrape down the sides to ensure an even texture.
- Store in a sealed jar for up to a week in the fridge.
- Use it stirred into pasta dishes, spread on wraps/sandwiches, add a spoonful to your baked eggs or spread it onto a slice of toast, top with cheese and grill until all melted!