Yesterday we went to Nan’s Place for brunch and I came home feeling so inspired to get cooking after eating such a delicious meal there!
I had tried their brown rice bowl which was topped with mushrooms, avo, nori, citrus dressing and coriander and and it was just such a great mix of flavours that I was dying to make my own version of it for my lunches this week.
I kept it really simple, and used things I already had in the pantry/fridge. I did buy some portobello mushrooms though, because I’m a a bit of a mushroom fiend and I couldn’t imagine making a veggie bowl without them!
For the base, I cooked up some brown basmati rice (I prefer the taste and texture of brown basmati rice to regular brown rice) and stirred through some sunflower seeds for a bit of crunch and added nutrition.
For the toppings, I had goji berries, avo, portobello mushrooms and kale that I sauteed in coconut oil with minced garlic and a dash of gluten free soy sauce, soft boiled eggs for protein and for added deliciousness (runny yolks are my life) and I garnished it with loads of fresh coriander!
The best part was that it was enough for 4 days worth of lunches in one go – such an easy meal prep option! The bowls are loaded with good fats, protein, antioxidants and other amazing nutrients too. It’s simple, delicious and oh-so–nourishing. What more could you ask for in a meal?
If you try the recipe and decide you love it, please feel free to take a snap of it and tag me in it on Instagram or email me a pic if you don’t have Instagram! I’d love to share your photo on here!
I hope you’re having a beautiful day and I will see you back here for Wednesday Favourites and Un-Favourites!
- 3 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 4 eggs (organic/free range)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch of kale, thick stems removed and leaves roughly chopped (approx. 100g)
- 300g portobello mushrooms, quartered
- 2 teaspoons gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Pepper to taste
- 2 avocados, diced
- 4 tablespoons goji berries
- To garnish: fresh coriander
- Combine brown rice and sunflower seeds and divide into 4 bowls (it will be approximately 3/4 cup of rice per bowl).
- Bring a pot of water to boil, then turn the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Gently lower eggs into the water and cook for 6 minutes (this is for soft boiled eggs, if you prefer them hard boiled, please keep them for 2 extra minutes).
- Remove the eggs from hot water and place into a bowl of cold water to cool down and stop the cooking process.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and saute garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add kale, mushrooms, soy sauce, water and pepper to the pan and saute for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Divide all ingredients between the 4 bowls of rice and serve!
- MEAL PREPPING? If you want to eat it warm, prep everything into 4 containers except for the avocado and coriander. Add the diced avocado and coriander after you've reheated everything!