It’s been a bit of a non-stop week so far, but I thought I’d quickly pop in and share the recipe for the Speedy Spice Rubbed Butterflied Chicken I made for dinner last week. This is such a beauty of a dish because it honestly requires so little effort. I made it on a weeknight, and it only took me 5 minutes of prep and 40 minutes of totally unsupervised cooking!
Usually with a whole chicken, it takes over an hour to roast. But because this chicken was butterflied, it took less time to cook and it cooked more evenly too. You can get your butcher to do it if you can’t find one already butterflied. I’m lucky that I’m dating an ex-butcher who can do it for me :). He took care of it just before I got home!
Then all I had to do was pre-heat the oven, and mix the spices together. I coated the chicken with olive oil, then rubbed in a mix of turmeric, paprika, cumin, coriander, chilli flakes, salt, pepper and also some fresh oregano from my balcony and popped it all in the oven for 40 minutes.
I love meals that cook by themselves and require little or no supervision. I was able to use that time to do my college work, but you can use it to work out, shower, relax, drink a glass of red (I won’t judge – I would have too if I didn’t have to concentrate!)… whatever takes your fancy after a long day at work.
After the 40 minutes, I pulled it out and it was cooked perfectly. The meat was juicy and the skin was crisp and golden.
Jared cut it up and we had a piece each with some garlicky veggies!
Such a simple week night dinner idea, or you’re into meal prep, this is a great option to make ahead and use for salads etc during the week! I hope you try it and like it as much as we did!
Before I go, I would love to know which recipe you’d like to see on the blog next:
- Creamy Bacon and Broccoli Salad
- Mean Green Lentil Soup
Also, don’t forget to sign up to the One Dish Away VIP Mailing List – link here>>.You’ll get advice on nourishing your mind, body and soul delivered straight into your inbox each fortnight, as well as be the first to know when any upcoming eBooks or programs are released! As a welcome gift, you also get a FREE copy of my eBook “5 Ways to Nourish Yourself” eBook when you sign up. It’s a beautiful little guide on how to nourish your soul, so don’t miss out!
- 1 butterflied chicken, approx 1.2kg*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves**
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees celsius.
- Place chicken in a roasting tray.
- Sprinkle over the spices, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Rub well into the skin and rub the underside into any oil and spices that has run off into the tray. Season underside with salt and pepper too.
- Place chicken into oven and roast for 40 minutes - no need to turn or flip.
- Chicken is ready when the juice runs clear when a knife pierced into the chicken.
- * Always choose a free range/organic chicken when possible. If you cannot find a pre-butterflied chicken, and you are unsure how to do it yourself, you can always ask your butcher to do it for you.
- ** You can substitute for dry oregano if you do not have fresh.