Before I get stuck into this recipe, I just want to apologise for the terrible quality of the photos. Some idiot (me, of course) left her camera at work on Friday and so was stuck with iPhone snaps all weekend. Sorry guys, I promise the dish is about 18 times more delicious than it looks! (Same goes for the protein balls I posted yesterday!).
Now, let’s get into it! I wanted to prep something that would use up a lot of our veggies and eggs. We’ve been eating less eggs than usual lately for some reason and we had an abundance of lovely organic eggs begging to be used. A frittata ticked all the boxes for me!
They are such a great way to get in loads of veggies and are so simple to make. Thanks to the eggs and cheese, they’re high in protein and fats, which are great for keeping you fuller for longer. If you’re looking for a low carb meal, pair a slice of this with a delicious salad! Being a runner though, I love/need/want/crave my carbs far too much and always end up eating this with either a delicious slice of sourdough or some of my meal prepped roasted potatoes! Low carb is definitely not for me!
To make the frittata, I grated a couple of large zucchinis, diced an onion, shredded some kale leaves and sliced off some sweet corn kernels straight from the cob. If you don’t have fresh corn kernels, please feel free to substitute with drained and rinsed tinned corn kernels. I just happened to have some cobs leftover from last week’s meal prep.
I then added eggs, grated cheddar, Himalayan salt and pepper and mixed it all together.
To cook it, I just poured the mix into a quiche dish that I greased really well with some organic butter, topped it with some crumbled Danish feta and let it bake in the oven for just over 45 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the edges are golden and the middle is no longer runny.
When it cooled, I sliced it into 8 slices and popped them in the fridge to keep on hand for our meals throughout the week. It can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner – just add toast, roasted veggies, salad or any side dish of your choice, it’s so versatile!
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 onion
- 2 large leaves kale
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 8 eggs (preferably organic/free range)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled Danish feta cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Grate the zucchini, dice the onion and tear the kale leaves off the stems.
- Add all ingredients except the feta cheese into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir until well combined.
- Grease a quiche/flan dish well with butter/oil.
- Pour your mixture in and top with crumbled feta.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes. Keep an eye on it, the time may vary slightly depending on your oven. The edges should be golden and the middle firm to touch and cooked through.
- Let it cool before slicing into 8 portions and either serving or packing away into a container and keeping in the fridge for a convenient meal to enjoy throughout the week!