A delicious and simple pasta dish full of veggies, nourishing wholegrains + protein. A great dish to whip up for the family or as part of your meal prep!
After insta-stalking Heidi’s Instagram Page and seeing a photo of her holding a pan of delicious chunks of tuna and spinach all wrapped up in pockets of pasta shells and topped with oozing melted cheese, I was inspired to create my own version because it just looked so divine!
I had no shell pasta (bummer really – those shells looked amazing!), but I did have brown rice penne. So I stirred that into a simple pasta sauce of tinned whole + diced tomatoes, onion, minced garlic and herbs, added spinach, broccoli, mushrooms and olives and topped it all with lots of grated cheddar and baked it until hot and bubbling and the cheese melted and golden around the edges!
This made a really big batch, which is perfect for meal prep! I ate this for most of my lunches last week and loved it! There’s just so much goodness in this recipe – slow burning energy from the brown rice penne, protein and essential fatty acids from the tuna and countless vitamins + minerals from the bucket load of veggies! (And can’t forget the flavoursome little olives in there – they pack such a great hit of flavour in this dish!).
If you make this dish, please let me know how it goes for you! I would love to hear your feedback! I’m also on Instagram, so if you upload a pic, please tag me as I’d love to see it + share it on here!
- 300g brown rice penne pasta*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 400ml tin diced tomatoes
- 1 400ml tin whole tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 150g baby spinach leaves
- 2cups mushrooms, sliced
- 10-12 pitted black olive
- 1 440g tin of tuna in spring water, drained
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to packet directions.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Saute the garlic and onion in the oil for 1-2 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
- Add in the diced and whole tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano and salt and pepper to the saucepan.
- Stir the sauce well for 1-2 minutes, using the spoon to break up the whole tomatoes into smaller chunks.
- Combine the cooked pasta, sauce and remaining ingredients except the cheese and pour into a large baking dish.
- Sprinkle over the cheese and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden.
- *Please feel free to replace with wholegrain pasta of choice.