I made this dish yesterday as part of my meal prep and really enjoyed it! It was so simple to throw together, and can be easily altered depending on what veggies you have on hand!
To start, I sautéed the veggies in some sesame oil. I absolutely love the smell and taste of sesame oil, and use it in my Asian style dishes often. But you can of course use olive oil or coconut oil instead if you prefer!
I then added in some cooked and chopped vermicelli noodles, I find chopping it with scissors before throwing it into the pan makes it so much easier to stir! I have made the mistake of throwing it in without chopping it first far more times than I am willing to admit, and it’s always ended in tears because stirring becomes a nightmare. (You’d think I’d learn after my first time, right?)
For flavouring, I added some gluten free and low sodium tamari, gluten free oyster sauce and lots of back pepper. I use this combination often in my stir fries, it never fails me! If you’re after a vegan version of this dish, you can always omit the oyster sauce and add more tamari or another vegan friendly sauce like coconut aminos!
I also added in some organic cashews near the end for some crunch and added fat and protein. You’ll notice that there isn’t much protein in this dish otherwise, so please feel free to add in some non GMO tofu/tempeh, crispy fried eggs or shredded chicken if you want this to be a more filling dish. Or keep it as is for a light and refreshing meal!
- 200g vermicelli noodles
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, halved, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, halved lengthways and sliced
- 1 ear of corn, kernels sliced off
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoons low sodium GF tamari/soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons GF oyster sauce*
- Black pepper to taste
- To serve: sliced green onion and wedges of lime
- Bring a pot of water to bowl on stove top.
- Add noodles to the pot and cook for 3-4mins (or until softened).
- Drain, rinse under cold water to cool, then use scissors to cut the noodles into shorter strands. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in pan.
- Add minced garlic and all of the veggies to the sesame oil.
- Saute until veggies are just softened.
- Add the noodles, cashews, sauces and pepper to the pan and stir until well combined.
- Serve topped with sliced green onion and a squeeze of lime.
- *Omit this and replace with more tamari or another plant based sauce to make this a vegan recipe!