What I Ate

Weeeeee it’s Friday! Which means three things: WINE, pyjamas and my What I Ate post! Obvs not in that order though, apparently drinking pinot before 9am in your onesie is looked down upon in the office… I know, weird right?

It’s been a while since I’ve done a WIA post, and I sure have missed oversharing about every little that I’ve eaten through the week. Just as I’m sure you’ve missed reading about it! (If you haven’t missed it, let’s just pretend you did for the sake of my ego).

If you’re new here, HI and thank you for tuning into my tiny, little corner of the blog-o-sphere. What I Ate posts occur here most Fridays, and they include all of my eats from the week. I do it for a few reasons:

1/ I love talking about and sharing photos of my food. This is my safe space where I get to do it to my heart’s content and occasionally people view it and sometimes even enjoy it ;).

2/ Being a qualified nutritionist, I believe in eating wholesome food to heal, nourish and thrive. Being a foodie, I believe in eating things that make my tastebuds happy (hello pastries and red wine). Being both, means balancing the best of both worlds and enjoying everything in moderation to achieve health and happiness. And I love being able to show people that it’s possible to lead a healthy and happy lifestyle without the need for crazy fad diets, calorie counting or restricting yourself. 

3/ To hopefully give you ideas on meal prep, recipes and things to make for yourself. I love stalking other blogs and pages for some foodie inspo for myself, so I hope this does the same for you!

Now, let’s get into it!


It was so hard to get out of bed. It was cold, it was Monday and I pressed snooze a fair few times. I eventually got myself out of bed and warmed myself up with a mug of hot water, lemon and honey and worked a little on my blog. 

I then made breakfast for Jared and I: toasted sourdough (this is the “personal loaf” from Bourke St Bakery) topped with organic butter, kale chips (kale, coconut oil, Himalayan salt and pepper and cooked in the oven for 5 minutes until crunchy) and scrambled organic, free range eggs. I also had a black coffee, which I ended up pouring into my thermos and finishing on the way to work.



For my lunch, I packed mashed potatoes, steamed veggies and paleo chipolatas, and my snack was a couple of bliss balls. All of these were prepped on Sunday. Thank YOU past Laura for being organised!

When I got to work, I had a green tea (everyday I have either a bag of green or herbal tea and reuse it a 3-4 times throughout the day) and didn’t feel hungry again until 12, which is when I had my lunch. I had my bliss balls late afternoon, and by the time I got home at 6, I was starting to get really hungry again. 

Again, thank you past Laura for having her sh*t together, because dinner was 80% done already. We had brown rice/quinoa mix and fish leftover from Sunday, so I simply reheated those and quickly stir fried some bok choy, carrots and onion that Jared had cut up for me (what a gem!). I added a splash of GF tamari, oyster sauce and cracked pepper to the stir fry, which is my no fuss go-to stir fry seasoning.


YUM! I had just this bowl and it was the perfect amount of food for me to feel comfortably full.

I got a bit peckish at about 9:30, so I made myself a cup of Sleepytime tea and a small snack of a brown rice cake topped with a little organic butter and some cheese. I hate going to bed hungry! I always wake up feeling a bit sick/nauseous if I do. So I scrap the “rule” about not eating past a certain time at night. If I’m hungry, I’ll eat! My body knows what it needs, and I’ve learnt the hard way what happens when I don’t listen to it.


Jared left for work at 5am, and the sweetheart fed Severus before he left which meant I could have a sleep in. Severus crawled back into bed after his feed and we both curled up together under the blanket until 6am. When I could finally muster up the willpower to leave the warm bed, I made myself my usual mug of lemon and honey in hot water and got started on breakfast.

I had: a slice of sourdough, toasted with butter and 2 fried eggs. Is there anything better than wiping up all the egg yolk off your plate with crunchy sourdough crust? I honestly don’t think there is! I was too full for coffee so I waited until I got to work to have it instead of forcing it down with breakfast.


For lunch I packed the last our mash, veggies and chipolatas and for my snack I had 2 bliss balls and a banana.


When I got to work, I had myself a black coffee and wasn’t hungry again for quite some time. I was actually a bit nauseous before and after lunch. Which was odd because I didn’t eat anything out of the ordinary and I had no other symptoms. I was however, quite nervous, anxious and stressed all morning because of this whole apartment hunting thing. It was the only thing that was different about my day and so I put it down to that. Isn’t it interesting how emotions can affect the body physically? I find that when I’m stressed/anxious, I tend to feel a bit sick in the stomach and my appetite disappears. But when I’m really tired or run down, my appetite triples and I can’t seem to eat enough!

I sipped on green tea all morning, but it wasn’t getting any better. I eventually convinced myself to at least have a few bites of lunch to see how my stomach would take it, and I was fine! I ate slowly and took my time with it, and ended up finishing all of my lunch. My nausea eventually subsided by the afternoon, and I was able to finish off my work day with the bliss balls. (I skipped the banana).

For our pre-dinner snack we split 3 GF lasagna sheets topped with cheese. It sounds odd, and that’s probably because it is. We came up with this when we first moved out of home and had some fresh lasagna sheets leftover. We decided to top them with a bit of grated cheese and cook them under the grill until cheese had melted and the corners of the lasagna sheets were golden and crunchy and it was so-freaking-good!!!! It was just like having the cheesy/crunchy top layer of a lasagna (…and if the top layer of lasagna isn’t your favourite part of it then we probably can’t be friends). And so began our weird love affair for cheesy lasagna sheets. I’m sure that story was riveting for you!

For dinner, Jared made wedges with white and sweet potatoes, coconut oil, Himalayan salt, pepper and rosemary and I pan fried some fish (I used the same recipe as I did on Sunday and made 4 to save some for lunch). I served it with lemon wedges and also topped mine with sriracha sauce after the photo. Because chilli is good on everything!


After dinner, I did a bit of prep for the next day. I cooked some brown rice penne, and tossed it with some chopped up lettuce, celery and cucumber and split them between two containers and toped it with the leftover fish, a wedge of lemon, a bit of fried garlic and a small drizzle of GF tamari.

Also, if you’re wondering why the light is almost nice in my kitchen for that time of night, it’s actually because our light bulb died, and we haven’t had the time to get  a new one so we just moved one of our lamps in there. Problem solved! (God we’re great adults!). Ironically, the lamp actually gives off a nicer light in my photos than the awful yellow tinged ceiling light bulb ever did. Kind of. It’s still not as great as natural daylight, but whatever.

I then went on a big cleaning spree in the kitchen. And by cleaning spree, I mean I did the dishes, swept the floor and wiped down the counters and cleaned the stove. You know, normal adult things you should probably do after you cook. Look, it felt like a big cleaning spree ok? And it totally helped with my stress too. Anyone else clean to relieve stress? Or am I the only weirdo? 

To end the night,I had a cup of Sleepytime tea in bed, refilled a couple of times because it was so good!



… Started much in the same way as Tuesday! Except for breakfast I decided to do something different for breakfast and make Carrot Cake Oats. Which was nice and warming, but I missed my sourdough and eggs if I’ll be honest! The recipe is: 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/3 cup grated carrot, 2 teaspoons chia seeds, 1 tablespoon raisins, 1 tablespoon honey and 1 cup milk (I used an almond and coconut milk blend). All cooked in a pot until boiling, then heat turned right down and simmered for a couple of minutes until thickened. I also stirred through a teaspoon of psyllium husk for added fibre, and added a splash of milk when it was finished because that’s how I like my oats.


11 I wasn’t hungry when I made it, so I packed it all up to have on my way to work. Some mornings I’m starving when I wake up, and some mornings I’m not hungry at all. I just go with whatever my body feels like! I had half on the train at about 8, and the other half at about 11am at work.

I also picked up a large almond milk latte on the way to work. Such a treat to not have instant coffee!


For lunch I had my fish and pasta salad, and for my snack I had two bliss balls (I didn’t have the third – just wasn’t feeling it). I was starving when I got home. Jared had the awesome idea to move our take out night to Wednesday instead of Friday so there’d be less washing up to do, as we had photographers coming on Thursday morning to take photos of our place for the real estate (UGH…). With 25mins to go until our food arrived, I NEEDED to eat something. But it had to be savoury. I didn’t want a bliss ball or fruit or veggie sticks. I wanted cheese and crackers but we were out of both (I almost cried when I realised this). After much rifling around and desperation, I resorted to eating a tin of lime and cracked pepper tuna. It was actually really nice (even though all I could think was how awesome it would taste on crackers with cheese). This kept me happy until our food came!


I ordered my usual Tadka Dahl and Jared had butter chicken. We also got cheese naan and basmati rice. I had half of my dahl, half a naan, rice and a taste of Jared’s chicken (nice, but spicy lentils > chicken). I was very satisfied after this meal. We watched some Futurama in bed, drank Sleepytime tea and both slept like babies thanks to our post-Indian food coma.


Jared had the day off, so he had a sleep in while I got up to feed the rascal at 5am before crawling back into bed. He soon followed and we both fell back asleep until 6am). I had my usual lemon and honey tea, and made breakfast.

I was back to my usual and my tastebuds and belly were both so happy! Sorry oats, but eggs and buttered sourdough wins this week. Jared also made me a coffee to take to work!


For lunch I packed my leftover dahl and half a cheese naan, and for my snacks, I packed an apple and my leftover bliss ball. I got hungry at about 11 and had a green tea and my banana from Tuesday I didn’t eat. That held me over until 12:30 when I had my naan and dahl. WHY IS DAHL SO GOOD?? If anyone has any good dahl recipes, please send them my way!

The dahl tied me over until 4, when I had my bliss ball and apple!

It was a bit of a stressful day at work, and add to that the stress of being told our apartment was going to be open for viewings to the public in just two weeks (and we are nowhere near closer to finding a new place) made me break out the wine when I got home. Yep, wine on a Thursday. #adultingishard.


For dinner I made a stirfry with egg noodles, free range chicken thigh strips, sliced veggies (carrot, capsicum and zucchini) and a goooood splash each of GF tamari and oyster sauce. I topped it with fried garlic and sriracha sauce. It was good. Like really, really good! I might make another batch on the weekend and do a proper step-by-step recipe post on it. Anyone interested? 


I was still a bit hungry afterwards, and my initial thought was to have another bowl like my first. But after waiting 5 minutes, I wasn’t as hungry and instead got myself about 1/4 of a bowl telling myself I could always have more if I wanted to afterwards. And what do you know, I didn’t want any more! That little bit extra was just enough to make me comfortably full!

After dinner and wine, and blogging (this post actually), I settled into bed with…. you guessed it, a cup of Sleepytime tea and my favourite blogs for a nice early night.

And that’s it for my eats this week! I hope you enjoyed my recap, random food ramblings and lamp lit photos! What are you up to this weekend? Anything exciting? Tell me all about your plans so I can read about them and live vicariously through you while I am running from apartment to apartment trying to find us a new home tomorrow! Fingers crossed we find a place!!!

Now if 5pm could just hurry up, mumma has a date with le couch and bathrobe!