What I Ate #8

Hello lovelies! How was everyone’s week? Mine was pretty crappy thanks to the tonsillitis I had, but here’s to brighter and healthier days next week right?

Before I get cracking on my meals for the week, I just wanted to remind you that I do these posts for a few reasons, and they can be found here>>.

I also want to say in advance, that this week will definitely look quite different to my usual weeks. I was quite sick, and couldn’t eat much food because everything hurt my throat, and for the first couple of days all I craved was soft 2 minute noodles. And that’s basically all I ate for two days straight. I haven’t eaten them in so long prior to that, that I honestly can’t even remember the last time. On a road trip with some friends a couple of years ago, perhaps? Anyway, the point I guess I’m trying to make is, this isn’t how I usually eat but I did it because it is all I wanted. And it was still a much better option than not eating at all.

I did battle with myself a little though, doing the whole “ugh, you know this isn’t healthy… why are you eating this?” I’m only human, and I still have those inner battles every now and then. It’s still a journey to eating intuitively and freely all the time, and I don’t pretend to have reached my destination just yet. I feel like every day is a learning curve, and this week was a challenge. I just had to keep reminding myself:

  1. To be gentle to myself – I was in enough physical pain, I didn’t need to add guilt to the mix. It wasn’t worth it!
  2. That this was temporary – I don’t eat like this all the time, so why worry?

After thinking that, I was a whole lot easier on myself. I could’ve easily not done a recap this week, and not shown you the crappy food I ate. But I feel like that would be lying to you. It would defeat the purpose of these posts to be open about what I eat and my journey! So here it is, this week in all of it’s glory! Enjoy!


On Sunday I had felt pretty run down and tired, but I had put it down to a big weekend. I thought I would just sleep it off. Wrong. On Monday morning I woke up feeling so, so awful. I had a headache, my body felt weak and my throat was so sore. I didn’t want breakfast or even coffee. So I skipped it and just packed our meals for the day.

Lunch: Leftover Indian from our Valentine’s dinner (we just got take out and lazed about on the couch together watching cartoons, it was a fab Valentines!!). I had dahl and basmati rice, Jared had the same with a bit of mango chicken too.

Snacks: Leftover bliss balls from last week.


I started to get quite dizzy on the way to work, I was really not feeling good. I thought it might have been from not eating, so I had my bliss balls for breakfast to try and feel better. I didn’t want to take the day off, but as soon as my co-worker saw me, she said I should definitely go home to rest. I managed to get a little work done, before my headache got too much and I left at 11 to go home.

On the way home, I stopped by an Asian grocery store and picked up some Mi Goreng noodles (my favourite two minute noodles) and some frozen shiitake and veggie dumplings. They were soft enough that I could swallow them without too much pain, and they were all I wanted.

When I got home, I made myself a packet of noodles, topped it with a fried egg and steamed two of the dumplings. I got through all of it, minus half a dumpling. 




I spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping on and off, trying to get rid of my headache. I was really just hoping that it was a 24 hour flu and that a bit of sleep would help.

I woke up at about 4pm, and made myself another packet of noodles and a fried egg.


I had no energy to cook dinner, and in my haze I had forgotten to defrost anything for Jared to make, so we ordered Thai. Jared got chicken satay skewers and pad kee mow noodle stir fry, and I got a mild veggie and tofu laksa. It was delicious, but I could only get through half of it. 


My hopes of it being a 24 hour sickness were dashed when I woke up and I could barely swallow. My left tonsil looked and felt infected, and was so tender and sore it was actually giving me pain all the way up into my left ear everytime I swallowed. At this point I knew I had tonsillitis (I used to get it often as a child, and I’m pretty familiar with the symptoms unfortunately), so I called in sick and booked in to see my doctor. I couldn’t get an appointment until the afternoon, so I had to just wait it out until then. 

I sent Jared to work with my leftover laksa for lunch and his leftover satay skewers leftover to have for his snack. I just had zero energy to cook anything for him! He was happy with leftovers though, bless him!

For breakfast I had: greek yoghurt, frozen mango, grapes, chia seeds and hemp seeds. This was so nice and cooling on my throat. It felt so good, and was so good for me. But for some reason, I just didn’t want it as much as I wanted noodles. So this was the only time I ate it. 


I had an early lunch at about 11: noodles, fried egg and leftover fried eggplant and shiitake mushrooms from last week.


I slept for most of the day and afternoon, and woke up about 3 to have a snack before my appointment. I had: some brie, prosciutto and grapes (leftover from our Valentine’s Day cheese platter).


I started to feel a bit guilty for being so lazy, but that thought was quickly discarded when I was reminded of how crappy I felt. I needed the rest, and there was no shame in that.

I went to the doctors and he confirmed I had bacterial tonsillitis. He prescribed me penicillin antibiotics for the infection and Nurofen and Panadeine Forte for the pain. I’m not a fan of strong pain killers or Ibuprofen and tend to avoid them where possible. I only picked up the antibiotics, and figured I would leave the others as a last resort and only get them if the pain became too unbearable.

That night, Jared was a sweet heart and cooked me chicken noodle soup. It was much needed and I’ll be sharing the recipe this weekend because it was so, so good. So much love and goodness in a bowl! We ate it with leftover cheesy garlic naan bread from Sunday night Indian. Jared gave me the soft, cheesy center bits and he ate the tougher, harder outer bits. God he’s good!




Unfortunately I had to go back to work on Wednesday. I didn’t have any sick leave accrued as I had only just started working there in December and we literally just could not afford for me to take another day off. 

I packed myself a container of Jared’s soul soothing chicken soup and off I went!


The only thing I could get to motivate me was promising myself breakfast at Bourke St. I got myself a ham, cheese and tomato croissant and coffee. I had them heat up the croissant to make it a bit softer for me to eat. It was still a bit of a struggle, but I got through it. 

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Work was a struggle too, but I took it easy on myself and gave myself breaks to make myself some tea whenever the computer started to make my headache worse. My work were totally understanding about it, which I was so grateful for. 

On the way home, my trains were delayed and I was about 110% over my day by the time I got home. I was tired, cranky and so emotional. Jared thankfully cooked soup again, this time it was pumpkin! I was so grateful to have him around helping me out and cooking things like soup (which were totally out of his comfort zone!). 

I snacked on a couple of handfuls of raisins and cheese while I waited for dinner.


We had the soup topped with bits of bacon (instead of croutons because I couldn’t have them), spring onions and I also had Greek yoghurt too. I had two bowls and was so stuffed by the end! 



I actually felt well enough Thursday morning to have breakfast with Jared. He had bacon, a fried egg and GF toast while I had a mug of the pumpkin soup with a little bacon and spring onion. So hearty and warming!


For lunch, I packed: chicken noodle soup for me, and pumpkin soup for him.

For snacks, I packed: organic nectarines for us both, a bit of cheese for me and he had a bag of raw almonds at work.


I took it easy again that day and didn’t work myself too hard. 

When I got home, I treated myself to some ice cream before dinner. I know, I’m such a rebel! If you follow me on instagram, you would’ve seen that I was so happy to find my two favourite ice cream flavours (boysenberry and hokey pokey) at the one place about 2 weeks ago, so I got myself a scoop of each. I had half and put the rest in the freezer for when I needed another treat. Last night was the night! It was so indulgent, and so so good.


For dinner, Jared and I cooked together. I had more energy by this point, and was itching to make myself useful again. A few days of being couch ridden at home was starting to drive me nuts! I missed my kitchen, haha!

He cooked up some sausages and made some mashed sweet potato. We stumbled across these mini sausages up the other day – grassfed, organic and gluten free. I thought it was a great supermarket find! They tasted great too and a bit firmer in texture than regular generic supermarket sausages. We’ll definitely be getting them again!



For the mash, Jared used 3 small sweet potatoes, boiled them, then mashed it with a tablespoon of organic butter, a splash of coconut milk, salt, pepper and mixed herbs. So good!!

I made my famous broccoli and bacon salad to go with it too. (If you haven’t made it yet, you should!!)

Such a delicious dinner! It was nice to have a bit of texture in my food again, rather than just soups and soft noodles! 


Those sausages were so good with a drizzle sriracha sauce!!


I just wanted to note too, that I didn’t end up needing the Nurofen, Panadeine Forte or even throat lozenges. To soothe my throat, I had a spoonful of Manuka honey 2-3 times a day, and held it in my mouth and back of the throat for about 10 seconds before swallowing. I also sipped on lemon and ginger tea with a bit of organic honey stirred all day, every day. I usually drink my tea when it’s uncomfortably hot, but I left it this week to cool down to a more comfortable warm drinking temperature so it was more gentle on my tonsils. I usually cut fresh ginger and turmeric into my cups of tea when I’m sick too, but we had used all the ginger in the chicken soup and had no turmeric either!

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

I’m looking forward to relaxing this weekend. My body needs it. Actually, my body deserves it. I can’t wait to have myself a good soul nourishing weekend filled with lots of wholesome food, rest and may be even a bath and face mask session!

I hope you enjoyed this week’s installment of What I Ate!

Before I jet off, I just wanted to remind you that my next fortnightly newsletter will be sent out this upcoming Monday to all of you lovely people in my VIP mailing list, and the topic will be How to Enjoy Cooking More (a topic requested by an Instagram follower!). If you haven’t signed up yet, you can do so right here>>.

No spam, no gimmicks, just a handy newsletter sent to your inbox every fortnight! Oh, and a free eBook just for signing up too! ;)

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Much love,